Friday, December 2, 2011

15 Winter Scene in a Glass Ornament


How great are these square glass ornaments.  So much easier to work with than the round.  I picked them up a couple of years ago at Michael's after Christmas sale.

For the images inside I used my Cricut Expression 2 Anniversary Edition and Winter Woodland cartridge.  I love that cartridge!  I used Cricut Craft Room to size and cut the images.   These images are small but cut out perfectly on the Expression 2. 

Once I assembled the 3D trees, I dripped white 3D paint on the branch edges.  The deer is only embellished with a little inking and a marker eye.

I adhered the images to the bottom of the ornament with Helmar's Liquid Scrap Dots.  While the adhesive was still wet a sprinkled in some 'snow'.   The snow was made rubbing to styrofoam balls together :) .

While there's not much to it, if you want the exact same measurements I used, you care welcome to my cut files  -  Craft Room file here or the Gypsy file here

Have a great weekend!

Materials:
American Crafts cardstock (green, brown)
Cricut Expression 2 Anniversary Edition
Cricut Winter Woodland cartridge
Cricut Craft Room
Helmar's Liquid Scrap Dots
3D Paint, Crinkle Ribbon, Snowflake button, styrofoam pieces, glass ornament

Link parties:
Simply Designing
Thirty Handmade Days
Somewhat Simple
Someday Crafts Pin It

15 comments:

  1. This was the one I voted for lol. LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool project idea! I love it. Bookmarked this so I can remind myself to try this out in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just beautiful! What a great idea. TFS and for the inspiration!

    KimMJ
    bast830@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! The sound of strofoam rubbing together gives me the heebie geebies but I love the way the ornament turned out. I may have to give it a try.
    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy
    This is beautiful!!!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful project! You are so creative!
    Carolyn
    http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea and good use of that cartridge! I love how you made the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really cool thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful ornament! You did a great job on it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    I really love your web site.Could you please tell me how
    To get your Craft Room files into the Craft Room
    Program after I download the to my desktop.
    Have a Great Evening
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Sandy. When you open Craft Room and log in you will see at the bottom an "import" button. Click on it and find where you downloaded the file on your desktop. It will bring it into the Craft Room and you can open it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is AMAZING! I have always wanted to do something like this, but never tried. I think it may be time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cindy, this is so lovely. How does the glass container open wide enough to place your pieces inside? I'm sure there's an easy way but the pic doesn't show it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Grace. The ornament only has the top opening. The trees actually fit through the opening without difficulty. I put a blob of the glue on the bottoms and used tweezers to lower them into and place them where I wanted. Was tough keeping a steady hand and not getting glue all over the ornament. You could just as easily squirt a bunch of glue into the bottom first and lower the images into it. Hot glue works great if you are fast enough for it not to dry before you get your images in. The deer only had to be rolled a little to get it into the opening and it opened right back up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know what you think! It means a lot!