Saturday, March 2, 2013

4 Have A Ball!

It’s great to be able to use our Cricut cartridges for both paper and cake cutting machines.    You can layer your cake images the same as your paper images and get pretty close to the same colors, too.

With the Cricut machines/cartridges you can coordinate paper and fondant perfectly!


For my cupcakes, I kept it simple.  No need to have glitter and gems falling into the icing and if you are going to make dozens instead of just 5 like I did, you want to keep it easy on yourself.

For the cookie decorating I used my Cricut Cake Mini Machine and I used “Candy Clayfor my cutting.  It’s a mix of Wilton Candy Melts and light corn syrup.  Very easy, tastes good, cuts great!  My kitchen was really warm while I was doing this so I did have to pop my mats in the freezer now and then.  You use the Candy Clay the same as you  would fondant or gumpaste.   I used a  smear of frosting on the cookies to adhere the beach ball to it since I had it out for my cupcakes, otherwise you can paint on some corn syrup for ‘glue’.  The layers seem to stick to themselves very well without adding any glue, but if they appear not to stick together, I’d use a little corn syrup there, too.

Candy Clay (taken from the Wilton Website)
Instructions:
-Melt Candy Melts following package directions. Add corn syrup and stir to blend.
-Turn out mixture onto waxed paper and let set at room temperature to dry.
-Wrap well and store at room temperature until needed. Candy Clay handles best if hardened overnight.
-Candy Clay may be tinted using Wilton Candy or Icing Color. Knead in color until well blended.
-Candy Clay will be very hard at the start; knead a small portion at a time until workable.
-If Candy Clay gets too soft, set aside at room temperature or refrigerate briefly.
-When rolling out Candy Clay, sprinkle work surface with cornstarch to prevent sticking; roll to approximately 1/8 in. thickness.
-Prepared Candy Clay will last for several weeks at room temperature in a well-sealed container.

I rolled the clay a bit thinner than 1/8 .
I had green melts and pinkish melts for those two colors, but I didn’t have any yellow, so I added yellow gel coloring to white melts to get the yellow I needed.  You can easily color melted white candies or chocolate by using a gel coloring or specific candy coloring, but steer clear of water based coloring – for example, the ones that come in the little pointy bottles  – they’ll seize your candy and you’ll spend too much time trying to fix it and/or having to start over.


Cricut Machines Used: Cricut Expression 2, Cricut Cake Mini, Cricut Craft Room
Cricut Cartridges Used: Pack Your Bags
Other Supplies: Cardstock, Candy Melts, Corn Syrup, Toothpicks, Paper Dots (Candi), Helmar Premium Craft Glue Adhesive Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Love this! And thank you for the candy clay recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet. (it is a pun) I love it.
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is fantastic! I've never heard of Candy Clay, but I love making sugar cookies. I usually use the Wilton Royal Icing recipe to decorate my cookies but I always wanted to try to use my Cricut Cake to decorate them! I never tried it before since I didn't think fondant would taste good on cookies, but now that you have given me the Candy Clay recipe, I'm going to have to dust off my poor old Cake machine and give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you wish for to get much from this piece of writing then you have to apply such techniques to your won website.


    Feel free to visit my page; musicos

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know what you think! It means a lot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

~

Cricut Top 40

Royal visits!